Sunday, August 17, 2008

I cant believe I ran the whole thing :)

So, I intended to run 12 today but I figured that once I got there, whats 1.1 more, right?

I was going to get up early (yeah right) and try to run as close to the time I would when I am in VA Beach but that didnt happen. I rolled out the door at 9:15 after having 2 cups of coffee, half a banana and a small bagel square with peanut butter.

I again did not carry water with me which meant that I had to return to my water stop (aka home) every 3 miles or so. But I was pleased that I was able to do this even though it was hotter than hell and certainly more humid.

So, I did about 3 with a run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes interval, and then stopped at home for some fluids. Then back out minutes later for a run 7, walk 3 interval to about 6.5 and then home for fluids and some energy chew thingies. Then I stopped on the corner to chat with Megan for a minute or so then on to my third segment. Run 8, walk 3 to mile 9.35 and then home for some PowerAde. At this point, I knew that I could do the whole thing. I had it in my mind from the beginning so I was fairly confident that I was pacing myself accordingly.

I went back out but my legs and feet were protesting and I had to drop back to the run 5, walk 3 interval. I thought my lungs were going to explode and my feet were going to fall off around mile 11. I think that I need to refuel with some GU or something around mile 10 if I expect to finish with a decent time.

Each time I stopped, I paused my Nike+ and HRM to try to get an accurate reading of my run time. I know this is kind of cheating but I felt that I would certainly not be lingering for 3-4 minutes at any water stops during the race (well, hopefully not anyway) so it was more or less fair.

I finished in 2 hours 29 minutes and 11 secs. My average pace was 11 min 13 secs which is pretty good for me.

I was so offensive when I got home but I had to lay on the floor for about 10 minutes and of course, upload my run to Nike.com :) before I was able to go shower the stank off.

Ask me if I EVER thought I would run this far. Go ahead - ask me.

NO. No I never ever in a million bazillion years thought that I would complete this distance.

I MAY try to do it again next weekend with a few easy runs during the week with my water belt on and not stopping the way I did today and see how that goes. I might not. I will see how I feel about it.

Now I know I CAN do it. Even in the heat and humidity and with only 3 water stops (there are like 7 at the race). I hope to recreate something close to today's time and I think with the excitement and overall format of the race, I will be faster and running on more adrenaline so I SHOULD be able to do it in under 2 1/2 hours which would make me way happy.

I am dressed like I am going somewhere but I am not positive that my legs will cooperate so I think I will go plop on the couch for a while and see what the rest of the afternoon brings.

7 comments:

Viv said...

I am sure you will be able to recreate and even mo betta!

Amy said...

Woot!! Yup, the excitement of the race will keep you going. Congrats!

Feenicks said...

Awesome job, Kel. I'm sure you will do great.

Tammy said...

Great job, Kel!!

I think you'll be well under 2:30 for the race!

AKA Alice said...

You rock and are so smart for running in heat and humidity. It nearly did me in this weekend. Good for you!

Susan (aka Suba) said...

*waving pom poms*

Yay, great job!!!

Carly said...

Nice work!!! you will do fabulous on the race.