Monday, June 2, 2008

Zooma Race Report



I finished my first 10K!

*happy dancing*

Who woulda thunk it, back in January when I was rocked by resolution-style bravery to sign up to run 6.2 miles, that I would actually do it and do it fairly well??

Not me, that's for sure.

We headed up to Annapolis around 11 on Saturday morning, amidst warnings of severe weather beginning around 4. We figured we had plenty of time to seek shelter. :) We went to the mall and wandered around a bit and decided to eat at Red Robin (YUM). While there, the rain started as a torrential downpour. The lights flickered as the thunder boomed. It looked like 8:oo at night when it was only noon.

When we were done, we had to run back a few feet into the mall. I glanced down at my white shirt and realized that this could be bad. I covered my bewbal area with my purse and we ran for it with minimal drenchedness.

We got to the hotel around 4 and checked in. We hung out and waited for Julia and Amy to arrive as they were in an adjoining room to us. Sure enough, they came aknocking as planned and the three of us headed out to the City Dock for dinner with Jen and her friend, Erin. We had a great time (and a great meal - I had ravioli florentine and it was DEE-lish). Jen was hysterical and Erin was a trooper even though we were probably boring her to death with ChubbyChat and running talk!

We walked (and crutched) around a bit before heading back to the hotel around 9.

I laid all my running gear out for the morning, got a 5:45 wake up call and set the alarm for 5:30. YUCK, huh? I got a terrible night's sleep between being paranoid about oversleeping and having to pee.

But, I bounded up right on time and got dressed, lubed myself up with Body Glide and we were on our way!!! My stomach was so nervous, I had trouble choking down my peanut butter on a mini wheat bagel and 1/2 of a banana.

We got to the stadium with plenty of time to spare and there were tons of people. Julia was able to find a front row parking spot to minimize her walking time and distance. We headed to the balloon arch to look for Jen. I saw Sandy and her friends who were planning on walking the race - they looked great and were totally psyched.

We planted ourselves near Jen, in the vicinity of the 11 minute/mile pace balloon and waited for the start. It was SO noisy back there that it was hard to hear much but sure enough, things got started and we were off.

We ran out of the stadium and on flat road for about 13 seconds and then the "rolling hills" started. "Rolling hills" makes me think of golf course hills...you know, the little hills that go up and down in a rolling fashion. These hills, not so much.

I suddenly realized that I did not see the 11 min/mile pace balloon so I thought that I was going really really reallllllly slow. I turned around slightly. There it was. BEHIND me. I was all puffed up with importance at my lightning speed. OK, so that lasted for about 7 seconds when the balloon (and the person attached to it) passed me and left me in the dust.

I think all the balloons must of popped b/c of the humidity - I never saw one again...not even after the turn around.

After about a mile, we went over the Naval Academy Bridge. I got most of the way up the upside and then started to walk and ran down the other side. I started to think bad thoughts like "WHAT am I doing?" "Am I insane?" "I am NEVAH gonna make it."

Finally, at about 2 miles, a water stop. I walked through, took a couple sips, threw my cup in runner-esque fashion and carried on. I have to be honest - from this point on, I was in my zone. I felt great. I was mostly running with a little walking sprinkled in but overall, I was listening to my music, enjoying the scenery and keeping a decent pace. I was trying to stay with people to be sure that I wasnt going slower than I thought. One girl was easy to spot as I SWEAR she ran like a gazelle - not fast but in a definite prancing sort of way with side to side arm movement. I wondered how her shins held up to that running style. I was assessing people's gait and ankle/knee pronation. I was checking out runner fashion. This all made time go by pretty quickly.

It was cool b/c the leaders of the race were starting to come by now and all of us slow people were cheering for them as they passed. I was cheering because I thought that that meant that the turn around HAD to be fairly close by.

I was running behind someone who MUST have been doing the half marathon portion of the race b/c she was LOADED down with her gear belt that had 4 bottles of fluid in it. At one point though, she took a swig and spit right next to her and I ran through it. ICK. She went to take another swig and I yelled "Dont spit on me!" and passed her. I dont know who was exhibiting poor running etiquette there but I didnt want a big orange Gatorade stain on my shoe. One would think that she could have spit into the large area of woods to her left instead of into the incoming traffic on the right, know what I mean??

The turn around and second water stop was around mile 4.5 - WOW! Has it really been 4.5 miles???? Humph. I think I just might make it after all. I saw Amy on the way back as well as Sandy and company. I was at 5 before I knew it. As I came over the crest of one of the biggest hills we came UP (The Overlook), I took my headphones out and enjoyed the crowd - there were lots of people up there cheering for runners. I pretended that I was winning the half marathon and for all they knew, I was. :)

Suddenly, I saw the 6 mile marker and it was almost over. I wondered if Jeff and the girls were at the finish. I got all choked up and almost hyperventilated. Wouldnt it be so embarrassing to hyperventilate and pass out at the finish line?

Anyway, I calmed myself down and saw Julia cheering as I turned the corner and saw the glorious finish. I heard them announce my name - I cant tell you exactly what they said but it was pretty cool that they did that. I crossed the finish as I saw Jeff, Sarah and Sam cheering for me and snapping pictures.

I had to turn in my chip *cough* and Julias *cough* and head out of the gate where they handed me my finishers necklace in a little box which is a silver charm of a running stick figure with long hair and a little tag that says "Zooma 6-1-08" dangling on it.

I ate a little blueberry muffin, cheered Amy in and walked up the hill to the shuttles (aka school bus) to get back to the stadium. The Expo was fun - lots of good gear, great band, free samples of all sorts of stuff, wine (which I didnt drink) and massages (which I did get).

This is "TEAM JUICY" -----v (Julia, Jen, Amy, Me)



We went back to the hotel so I could shower and Jeff packed up. We were home by noon and I planted myself on the couch and slept for 2 hours.

All in all, it was a great but very exhausting day. Finishing the 10K (time was 1 hour 16 mins 21 seconds - my goal was under 1 hour 30 min) was a milestone as well as a stepping stone to my next scheduled race - the Half Marathon!

EDITED TO ADD: Apparently, the time I posted was the wrong time...my CHIP TIME was 1hr 15m 3 secs which is even BETTER so I will take that one instead!!!!!!!!!!

17 comments:

Diario de Elysia said...

Gratz on athe grea tfinish time!

Anonymous said...

WTG on the time Kelly!! Loved your race story!

~paige

Kelly said...

WTG Kelly! Great time.

Tammy said...

Great job, Kelly!

Loved the race report!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Awesome Kelly

Amy said...

Congrats on your time! The report was great. Ditto on the hills.

Susan (aka Suba) said...

That's awesome!!!! You rock!

Jen Den said...

I did not know that was your first 10K until after the fact! You did great! The hills were KILLER.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Way to go!

amberlouie

Viv said...

Congratulations on a great first
10K! It sounds like you had fun too which makes it all the better!

Delane said...

Congrats on your fist 10K..you look fabulous in your photos!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Love the pics

Julia said...

I'm a bit bitter that we both had the same time, but you placed ahead of me. I'm writing a strongly worded letter!!!!!

*gigglesnort*

You did a great job, Kel. Your form was as good at the end as it was at the beginning. Way to go!!!

Jen said...

Way to go, Kelly! You four gals all look FABULOUS, by the way.

Amy said...

Love the pics!! Don't we look awesome?!

I tried getting mine on my blog and it didn't work for some reason.

Tammy said...

Great pictures!!

Carly said...

Nice Job Kelly!!!!