Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sick pup saga

On Friday, we noticed that Jessie wasnt acting quite right. Nothing too alarming, just a little lazy and not wanting to eat which is very out of character for her. Saturday, the same but still ornery and happy to visit with her company. Sunday, same. Biggest difference was that she didnt want to eat. And she seemed to want to go out on the deck a lot.

So, Monday morning I call and make an appointment for her at the vet. I realized that my FuzzyGirl had not wagged her tail or eaten since Sunday afternoon. I wrote down all her medications and her weaning schedule from the Phenobarb just in case it had something to do with it.

The vet checks her out and takes her temperature. It was 105.5! Holy crap. Even for a dog, that is very high. Sooooo...she gets blood drawn and a shot of antibiotics. Lyme's disease test was negative. We bring her home to wait for the results with instructions on how to help lower her temp.

Mid-afternoon, I go to Wal Mart to pick up the big girls from the GS camp bus and run into the store to grab a *cough* doggie thermometer *cough* and some rubbing alcohol. Meanwhile, there is a severe thunderstorm warning which decides to descend on us as I am about to walk outside to the limobus. TORRENTIAL downpour, wind...craziness!

I wait about 5 minutes but realize it isnt getting any better and I need to just run for it. Well, 1.2 milliseconds out the door, I am drenched to the skin. Thankfully, I wasnt wearing a white shirt! I grab the girls of the bus amidst the drama and we get home.

We spend the afternoon putting a large ice pack on Jessie, rubbing alcohol on the pads of her paws and monitoring her temp. It came down in the afternoon but shot back up, as it does with kids, in the evening.

We get her settled upstairs for bed and I print out the directions to the nearest doggie ER which is an hour away and pray that we dont need it.

How pathetic is this?





Nurse Rascal stuck close by:



Anyway, at 4 am, I was barely able to rouse her and I got really freaked out so I wrapped her in a wet towel and slept on the floor next to her. In the morning, I called the vet and he called back when he got the lab results. He said that her WBC was so low that she might be septic and that we could "lose her". Of course, *I* lost it and he said to bring her right in. They got her hooked up to an IV and started administering fluids.

I spoke the office a couple of times and they said that she was perking up a bit so she must have been dehydrated. She went out and peed and ate some canned dog food.

We went in at 4 to get her to bring her home for the night and the vet showed us her xrays which did not indicate any tumors or anything so that was good. They are stumped at this point as to why she has such a high fever still but we were starting some heavy duty antibiotics. Jessie still had her IV catheter in and a nifty orange bandage on her arm.

Anyway, the night went by without incident and Jessie returned to the vet this morning as we promised (a condition of her being allowed to come home last night) with her IV intact. They will continue supportive care and we will see how she does today. Her temp was down this morning below 105 for the first time since all this started so that was a good sign.

I will be attempting to get out today and run/walk/crawl for a little while. We'll see how that goes.

12 comments:

Julia said...

Poor Jessie. I'm praying for her, Kel. I love that Rascal is protecting her. You're a good dog mommy.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Poor baby. You are a good dog mommy.
I'll think good thoughts.

Jen Den said...

Poor pup! This makes me want to cry!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep us updated!

Amy said...

Aww, poor thing. She just looks pathetic. Looks like she was very comfy.

paige said...

Awe Kell! I'll continue praying for the pup. The pics just about killed me!

Delane said...

Poor pup..hope your pooch makes a quick recovery!

Kelly said...

Poor baby! I hope she recovers soon.

Tammy said...

Oh, Kelly. I'm saying pup prayers for her.

Rascal is so sweet, and you're a wonderful dog mommy!

J-Mo said...

I'm so sorry about all this, Kelly. It breaks my heart to think of it. I'll keep on with the good thoughts and prayers Jessie. We had a scare with Halo this week and I was beside myself. I have pics on my blog. email me at J.MoChica@gmail.com if you want to see ;-)

Again, hugs 'n love for the pup. Poor sweet girl!

Carly said...

Poor Puppy. I pray that she gets better soon.

Keep us updated.

Viv said...

I hope the pup is doing much better now.

Viv said...

Awww what a roller coaster for you. I hoope the pup gets to a full recovery soon. Hang in there.