Friday, May 23, 2008

Rails to Trails

Well, I did in fact survive. And not only did I survive but I managed to run 8 point oh something in my 90 minutes.

I decided that I would not be able to convince myself to run in the neighborhood for 90 minutes so I armed myself with cell phone, pepper spray, iPod, HRM, small Gatorade G2 bottle and jellybeans and headed over to the beginning of the bike/walk/jog path in our town.

I had never been there before but I heard that it was nice, took you through town and was about 5 miles out and back. I had a feeling that I would be able to do more than 5 miles in my required time so I figured if I just kept going until I hit 45 minutes, I would have no choice other than to turn around and come BACK 45.

Unless I called a cab. Remember - I had my cell phone. I am dedicated but not stupid. :)

Here are 2 shots I took at different spots along the trail:







As you can see, it was a lovely place to run and I only saw one weirdo along the way (yes, I thought about taking his picture but decided against it - he wished me a happy weekend and kept on his way). Otherwise, it was ladies walking, moms with strollers or no one at all. The only bad part was that it stopped at cross streets and cars didnt always STOP for me, the pedestrian, the RUNNER, so it might have messed up my time a smidgey bit but EH who's counting?!?!

My time back was better than my time out and I was dismayed to arrive back at the car with 8 minutes to spare. But, luckily, I was at the ball field and was able to run the driveway all the way around the field to a little cut out in the woods back on the path for the last 1/4 mile.

When I arrived back at the car AGAIN, I still had 1 minute 20 seconds left and .13 miles to get to 8 so I ran around in a minicircle. If anyone was watching me I am sure they thought I was loony.

Anyway, I made it right past 8 and completed my long run for the week with success.

AND!!!!!! Big news - I got some chafing. Right on the top of me bewbs. I am sure that this qualifies as an official runner especially when coupled with my blistered foot... I didnt notice until I got into the shower and the hot water hit it and I almost went through the ceiling.

My tiny one inch badges of honor.

:)

I think I need some Vaseline or Body Glide. Who knew?? I wonder what else will chafe when my mileage gets even longer.

*shudder*

So, all in all, I think that I will return to the Rails to Trails path for long runs. It was a pleasant break in the monotony of running. I hate only wearing one headphone but I needed to keep an ear out for freaks, right?

Oh and I tested my pepper spray. On the grass. It works! So I am totally armed.

I also got to talk to my dear gimpy friend, Julia on my way home. I am glad that she is doing well and I am looking forward to seeing my running peeps next weekend for ZOOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Viv said...

That trail looks wonderful! Fantastic running :-D
Aquaphor helped my chaffing unless you want to tough it out.

Amy said...

The trail looks beautiful. 8 miles and chafing? Yeah. You totally qualify as an official 'runner':)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sounds like it was a nice run.
Yay on Chafing (lol).

Tammy said...

Woohoo on the 8+ miles! The trail looks beautiful.

Pokey said...

Blisters and chafing....ahhhh, aint nothing like it. So I guess congratulations are in order, right?? ;)

We runners are such a strange breed....great job on your 8 miles!!!