Monday, May 5, 2008

The Grocery Store...a Saga

Why is it so expensive to eat well? I swear that it is a conspiracy that insurance companies have with grocery stores to keep us fat and make us sick.

I mean - what would medical professionals DO if we were all healthy???

I am an obsessive label reader. I know it, I own it. It is a conscious choice. But it makes grocery shopping SUCH an ordeal. Much moreso than it has to be.

I want to just grab the Doritos and Oreos and other bits of deliciousness but I know that I would be wracked with guilt about serving said deliciousness to the family. So, I read labels.

And wind up buying largely organic foods. DO YOU KNOW how much stuff has high fructose corn syrup and/or hydrogenated oils in it???? DO YOU KNOW??? Everything. So, as a result, I wind up spending $6.99 for a bottle of pure maple syrup instead of $1.29 for the regular stuff.

We all better live to the ripe old age of 130. Though I am not sure that I could afford to after spending my entire IRA on healthy food.

:)

So, I am considering joining a farm co-op. Well, I am considering having Lynn and I sign up for a farm co-op (*waving to Lynn*). Because it is a bit pricey though I believe (from what I have read) that it is do-able for 2 families to split it and get plenty of produce during harvest.

At first I thought that I would have to become a farm worker and go out and pick tomatoes or something. I was worried about what kind of tan lines that would give me and if all that manual labor was good for my training schedule (let alone my manicure and my back)...and you know I would NEVER be able to find a fat* large enough for my humungous head...but all they want is my money.

*I left that typ-o in there b/c I thought that it was funny but I MEANT to say "hat" not "fat"

So, I will update when I find out more info on that.

In the meantime, I will continue eating my hormone-free chicken breast from last night and my all naturale salad dressing on my salad. Along with my organically grown apple. Oh, and my chemical laden imported grapes from Chile that I am sure will subtract 1.567 seconds from my life expectancy but you know me...I like to live on the edge. PLUS, they are Dee-Lish!

3 comments:

Amy said...

LOL! Trader Joes is my new love. It's much better food and cheaper.

I loooove the bunny picture!

Al's Cooking Light Reviews said...

100 Calorie English Muffins have it printed they don't have the high fructose syrup on the front of their bag.

Julia said...

Trader Joe's, Kel. Very doable, and it tastes good. I want a bunny with a pancake on its head. I also need to figure out how to insert a pic into my posts. Enlighten me, O Technotarded One!